I’ve thought a lot about what I should blog about for my first food blog. It finally came down to what would people like to know the most….my foodie trips to New York City! Things change so fast in NYC. It’s crazy, but also exciting. Lots of things to see, lots of people, cultures, and definitely LOTS and LOTS of FOOD!
We usually do a day trip to NYC. We start at Chinatown, then head to SOHO, and then East Village!
Here are our usual places that are listed on the route described above:
- Gong Cha 1 Catherine St., NY, NY 10038 – Must Have: Medium Milk Foam Oolong Tea with 30% sugar, 25% ice, and herbal jelly and pudding (Love pudding!) $3.50
- Joe’s Shanghai 9 Pell St., NY, NY 10013- Must Have: Crab Meat with Pork Meat Steamed Bun (8) $8.25. They also have regular Pork Meat Buns. These are also called Soup Dumplings. Careful, there is a right and a wrong way to eat these. The wrong way may cause you to have third degree burns…or maybe I’m exaggerating a bit, but seriously these usually have at least a spoonful of rich, savory broth inside! Don’t forget to eat them with the vinegary, soy sauce. Mmmmmm!
- Kung Fu Tea 234 Canal St., NY, NY 10013- Must Have: Kung Fu Milk Tea with Less Sugar, Little Ice, Pudding & Herbal Jelly! ~$4
- Tai Pan Bakery 194 Canal St, NY, NY 10013 – Must Haves: Egg Tart/Portugese Egg Tart, Cream Custard Buns, Dry Pork Egg Roll Buns, Roast Pork Buns, Scallion Bacon Buns!! So many selection. Don’t forget the hot milk tea…so good in the winter! Each item is like under $3.2
- Eileen’s Special Cheesecake 17 Cleveland Pl, NY, NY 10012 – Must Haves: Plain, Pumpkin, Salted Caramel (OMG), Blueberry…really can’t go wrong with any of them!
- Cafe Habana 17 Prince St., NY, NY 10012 – Must Have: Mexican Corn!!! Don’t underestimate these guys. Grilled corn with mayo, cotija cheese, chili, and lime. OMG!!! FYI: They have a take out store around the corner.4
- Prince St. Pizza 27 Prince St., NY, NY 10012 – Must Have: A slice of pepperoni pizza or margherita pizza. ~$4 They also rolled out this Stuffed Prosciutto Balls…they are out of this world awesome! $1.25 New York pizza…you just can’t beat that stuff! This is the one I go to a lot growing up. Although the owners have changed, their pizza is still awesome! Also, folded pizza….that is how we roll.
- Ippudo 65 4th Ave, NY, NY 10003 – Must Have: Akamaru Modern with nitamago $14 and Hirata Pork Buns for appetizer $9! WARNING: this mighty bowl of ramen may ruin all other ramen experience. Seriously, it is a masterpiece. The nitamago egg is perfectly cooked and seasoned that the center is still soft. Yum! The broth….where do I begin. They use their secret miso paste for the broth and topped it off with pork chashu, cabbage, sesame kikurage, mushrooms, scallions, and garlic oil. Their Hirata Buns are no joke. You have to contain yourself to not order another plate! They are steamed buns with braised, caramelized pork belly with their secret sauce and mayo. It just melts in your mouth. If you have to go to one place, please go here! They are usually packed, but worth the wait. If you go before they open for dinner and wait in line, you’ll most likely get a table faster.
- Momofuku Milk Bar 251 E. 13th St, NY, NY, 10003 – Must Haves: Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookie! Yep…they exist! Compost Cookie, Bluberry & Cream Cookie. Cereal Milk Soft Serve with Cornflakes! Need I say more…
“Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.” …no seriously, if you are really attempting to get through this in one day!