I started making this potato salad after my high school friend introduced it to me. I had to make it and share with my family. My mom and aunt especially loves it with rice! Yep, you heard me…carbs on carbs. It’s different in that it contains apples and thinly sliced cucumbers. It adds so much crunch and texture to a traditional potato salad. Trust me it is so good. It is also very addicting. That one-bowl-is-not-enough kind of an addiction.
Pictures coming soon!
- Taste as you go. This recipe is really according to your taste. Here are the ingredients I adjust to taste: salt, pepper, mustard, and mayo.
- I usually make a big batch for the holidays like Thanksgiving, so that people can take some home. Feel free to cut the recipe in half.
- You’ll have to removed the seeds of the cucumber by scraping the seeds out with a small spoon. Then the ultimate secret to this recipe is to slice the cucumber really thin…as thin as you can..like paper thin. Almost see-through. This allows it to hug around the potatoes and provide it some crunch and salt. Don’t forget to really squeeze out the cucumber slices after the brining process.
- I used Grey Poupon Country Dijon mustard with the coarse ground mustard and French’s yellow mustard.
- I usually add a lot of the grainy dijon mustard and pepper!
Recipe: Garlicky Mashed Potatoes
⏱ Prep Time:
- 8 large red potatoes
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced small
- 1 large cucumber, seeded, sliced paper thin
- 1/4 lb cooked ham diced large cubes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 Tbsp dijon grainy mustard
- 3 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 red delicious, sliced thin
- salt & pepper to taste
- Soak the diced onion in a small bowl with water to cover until ready to be used.
- Soak the sliced cucumber in a medium bowl with water to cover and add 1 tsp of salt. Let it sit until ready to be used.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with water and bring to a boil for about 13-15 minutes, or until you can just poke through with a fork.
- Once potatoes are cooked, place in cold water and peel off skin. Chop potatoes to 1 inch cubes and place in a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Drain and squeeze out the water from the onion
- Rinse the cucumbers a couple of times. Then drain and squeeze out as much water as you can from the cucumbers.
- Once the potatoes are mostly cooled, add in all of the ingredients: onions, cucumbers, ham, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, yellow mustard, apples.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
Like This Recipe? Share the love..
Subscribe for new recipes and exclusive content.